Re: make check produces 25 failures and hangs (bug #65176).

From: Jens Schmidt
Subject: Re: make check produces 25 failures and hangs (bug #65176).
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 12:59:26 +0200

On 2023-08-12  21:09, Andrea Corallo wrote:

To a very quick look seems to me `comp-subr-trampoline-install' is just
not called as it should.  AFAIR it should be called from Ffset, I'm
really wondering what could have happened.

Probably because native-comp-enable-subr-trampolines equals nil in an
"emacs-master -Q"?

When I compare the following snippet from emacs-master/lisp/loadup.el:

        (when (and (featurep 'native-compile)
                   (equal dump-mode "pdump"))
          ;; Don't enable this before bootstrap is completed, as the
          ;; compiler infrastructure may not be usable yet.
          (setq comp-enable-subr-trampolines t))
                ^^^^

to emacs-29:

      (when (and (featurep 'native-compile)
                 (equal dump-mode "pdump"))
        ;; Don't enable this before bootstrap is completed, as the
        ;; compiler infrastructure may not be usable yet.
        (setq native-comp-enable-subr-trampolines t))

it seems that the android merge seems to be the culprit.  But leaving
that to others to judge.

In any case, fixing that setq in emacs-master to refer to
`native-comp-enable-subr-trampolines' again fixes the issue, at least
as far as my "little repro case" is concerned ... running "make check" ... yep, no more hangs at least on abbrevs-test.el.