Possible bug: org-capture fails when emacs started as daemon

From: Iñigo Serna
Subject: Possible bug: org-capture fails when emacs started as daemon
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 14:14:45 +0200

Hi,

Since some months ago (sorry, can't remember when it started) I'm suffering a problem with org-capture: every time I run it and select a template it errors with message "org-capture: Capture template ‘i’: Buffer name ‘CAPTURE-todo.org’ is in use". I'm posting the issue here in case it's a silly thing on my side before opening a bug report.

This happens on my main emacs instance: daily master, pgtk, native-compilation, on a x64 Fedora Linux 38 under swaywm (Wayland). Emacs started as systemd user unit with --fg-daemon flag and connecting with emacs-client.

I replicated the errors consistently in these tests:
- with pgtk / gtk3 / lucid
- running on Wayland (swaywm) or X (GNOME Classic)
- with/without native-compilation
- starting emacs as systemd unit or from terminal *with* --{fg,bg}-daemon options
- with minimum / complete configuration

All the same tests set with v29.1 on this machine fail as well.

Instead, if I run emacs from terminal without daemon option it can run org-capture successfully, even after executing `server-start'. But once I run the first emacs-client, org-capture fails from both, main and client.

As I see the error message is defined in either `make-indirect-buffer' or `rename-buffer' functions, and the first one is called from `org-capture-make-indirect-buffer'.
How could I investigate further the issue? Any hints?

Thanks in advance,
--
Iñigo Serna