Re: Disambiguate modeline character for UTF-8?

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Disambiguate modeline character for UTF-8?
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2023 15:08:15 +0200

> I disagree.  UTF-7, UTF-8 and UTF-16 both encode the same coded
> character set (or at least the BMP of the same character set.)  That's a
> far cry from there being ``nothing in common''.

This argument applies only to UTF-8 and UTF-16.

OTOH, UTF-7 isn't part of the Unicode standard. Also, it cannot encode
all of Unicode but only the first 65536 code points [1].

>> All I'm asking for is a unique indicator for UTF-8. Wouldn't this
>> be justified for the most common encoding (or maybe it's second
>> after ASCII)?

> Why would UTF-8 warrant a unique indicator on the basis of popularity
> alone?  The indicator is supposed to describe the coded character set:
> people who also need to know the coding system (which is not needed as
> often) can also read its tooltip text.

Right, and for both UTF-7 and koi8-u the coded character set is not
Unicode but only a subset of it.

[1] https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2152.txt