Re: No more "Prefix Command" in C-h m

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: No more "Prefix Command" in C-h m
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 19:38:38 +0200

> From: Bob Rogers <rogers@rgrjr.com>
> Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 10:19:37 -0700
>
>    A while ago, I noticed that C-h m no longer shows keys bound to

You mean "C-h b", I suppose.

> keymaps as "Prefix Command" along with their siblings when I almost
> clobbered such a prefix when looking for an unused key sequence.  I was
> about to submit a bug report when I noticed the comment in the code that
> said this was a design choice.  The commit was a5d79fcfe83e by Lars
> Ingebrigtsen on 2021-11-01.  Lars, would you please tell us why?

He already did, see

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-10/msg02399.html
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-10/msg02402.html

Bottom line: they were deemed unnecessary, since the key bindings that
use the prefix also show the prefix.

We could add a user option to get that back, if we think people will
want that sometimes.