Re: Documentation by function beyond elisp

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Documentation by function beyond elisp
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 14:43:56 +0000

On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 10:24 AM Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2023 at 16:12, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
> >
> > Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > For languages other than Elisp, this is handled by the language
> > > server. Eglot arranges for language-server-provided function help to
> > > be displayed by ElDoc.
> >
> > What about an equivalent of the *Help* buffer?
>
> Well, what about it? You move the point to an identifier. Its
> signature and a few lines of documentation are shown in the echo area.
> You invoke (eldoc-doc-buffer) and see the whole documentation.
>
> It may be a bit inconvenient that the content of that buffer changes
> as you move point to a different identifier. But that can be worked
> around with (clone-buffer).

That's true.  I'm working on some changes (will soon open a separate
bug for it), so that each member of 'eldoc-display-functions' uses its
own "outlet" (buffer, child frame, echo-area) independently, which is
not the case.  This should also allow users to obtain a buffer that is
"pinned" when they interactively invoke M-x eldoc.  That pinned buffer
should be "an equivalent of the *Help* buffer" for all (or most)
intents and purposes.

João