Re: [RFC] Explicity-remote commands in Eshell

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [RFC] Explicity-remote commands in Eshell
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 09:09:57 +0100

Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Jim,

> Instead, I think we could make this easier:
>
>   /ssh:user@somewhere:remote-command | local-command
>
> What do people think of the above syntax? It's a little bit different
> from the usual Tramp syntax, since the local part shouldn't be
> expanded using 'expand-file-name'; it's an executable somewhere on the
> remote $PATH. I can't think of any problems with supporting this
> syntax in Eshell[1], but I'm interested to hear others' thoughts.

I've skimmed over the patch, and there's nothing to object from Tramp
pov. I'm not a regular Eshell user, so I don't know how useful it will
be.

One remark: Why don't you allow remoteness everywhere? Sth like

/ssh:user@somewhere:remote-command |
/ssh:another-user@elsewhere:another-remote-command

This even with multiple pipes in a row. Mixed with local commands. And
using just the shorter version "command", which means a local or remote
command according to default-directory.

"/:command" is a nice trick, btw :-)

Best regards, Michael.