Re: Should yaml-ts-mode inherit from prog-mode?

From: Basil Contovounesios
Subject: Re: Should yaml-ts-mode inherit from prog-mode?
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 13:45:13 +0000

Matthias Meulien [2023-03-01 08:46 +0100] wrote:

> But thinking twice is there any concrete gains of inheriting from prog-mode
> rather than text-mode for the end-user?
> Don't we already face that dilemna with nxml since XML is used to serialize
> data?

Precisely because there exists a general dilemma (see also mhtml-mode
etc.), and these things are hard to impossible to change after the fact,
I agree that it is more pragmatic for now to stick to discussing the
concrete case of:

> Since yaml-ts-mode is new it'd be a good thing to be coherent.

But because by tautology I do as I do and not as I say I will also take
the liberty of pointing out that while Emacs 27 introduced a
conf-toml-mode based on conf-mode, and the third party toml-mode is also
based on conf-mode, Emacs 29 introduces a toml-ts-mode based on
text-mode.  I'm not sure how intentional/desirable that is, so at risk
of blowing this thread out of proportion I'm copying in Jostein as well.

Thanks,

--
Basil