Re: A feature to go to last edit locations

From: Karthik Chikmagalur
Subject: Re: A feature to go to last edit locations
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 16:00:41 -0800

> Try the goto-chg package. It just uses the undo ring to find previous
> locations. Sometime it’s a bit buggy when you use lsps with save
> actions, but in general it works really well.

I would like to second this.  goto-chg is much more reliable for me as a
jump command compared to pop-mark (C-u C-SPC).  The common use-case is
when I'm editing text and jump away to examine or copy text from a
different part of the buffer.  Since many motion commands set the mark,
it can take several invocations of pop-mark to get back to where I was
editing, sometimes a double digit number.  In comparison,
goto-last-change reliably brings me back immediately to where I was
typing.  I do this often enough (sometimes several times a minute) that
setting a register each time before jumping is infeasible.

The fact that it reuses undo information means there's no perceptible
performance penalty either.

Karthik