Re: Partly deferred font-locking?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Partly deferred font-locking?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 15:33:03 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> > That would have to be done in Emacs, not in my code, right?
>
> Depends on whether the additional highlighting will be part of
> jit-lock.el or not.  The display engine only cares whether the value
> of 'fontified' is nil or not.

I can't image a solution that is not part of jit-lock.

> while-no-input is not a way to interrupt an on-going calculation,
> because it requires Emacs to check whether any input arrived, and
> Emacs only does that when it's idle.

Only when idle?  Why is

  (while-no-input (while t (+ 1 1)))

interruptable?  I don't think Emacs is idle while evaluating the loop...?

> You are specifically talking about accessing the filesystem, which
> means you will call some file I/O C API, and those won't be
> interrupted.

Right, but there are dozens of them per window size, and I think we can
interrupt the thing between the individual request.

Michael.