Re: Is it expected to have reserved "system.el"?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Is it expected to have reserved "system.el"?
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 19:35:26 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2023-01-02 15:35]:
> I don't understand these questions, and therefore cannot answer them.
>
> Please provide more concrete details: which code you tried to use, and
> what was the exact message you saw (please cite the message exactly as
> shown by Emacs).  Without these details, I cannot understand what
> exactly happened in your case.

Here it is:

> move-file-to-trash is an interactive byte-compiled Lisp function in
> ‘files.el’.

> (move-file-to-trash FILENAME)

> Move the file (or directory) named FILENAME to the trash.
> When ‘delete-by-moving-to-trash’ is non-nil, this function is
> called by ‘delete-file’ and ‘delete-directory’ instead of
> deleting files outright.

> If the function ‘system-move-file-to-trash’ is defined, call it
>  with FILENAME as an argument.
> Otherwise, if ‘trash-directory’ is non-nil, move FILENAME to that
>  directory.
> Otherwise, trash FILENAME using the freedesktop.org conventions,
>  like the GNOME, KDE and XFCE desktop environments.  Emacs moves
>  files only to "home trash", ignoring per-volume trashcans.

>   Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 23.2.

As you may see Emacs expects users to define function
`system-move-file-to-trash' and based on that, is there notion that
package named "system.el" is reserved for users on specific computer?

Is prefix `system-' maybe reserved from Emacs for every specific
system (computer)?

That is by chance exactly what I do, and I would favorite that approach.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman