Re: log-edit-insert-changelog even when run git/hg from the

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: log-edit-insert-changelog even when run git/hg from the
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 17:48:19 +0200

>>> "DG" == Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 17:48:07 +0200

> On 30.09.2022 09:10, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>>> On 11.09.2022 11:06, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>>> Have you tried calling it with the prefix argument? Thus enabling the
>>> USE-FIRST logic.
>> Sure, nothing happens when I do this. Does it work in git?

> I haven't tried, sorry. But it doesn't sound to be VCS-specific.

> My setup is different, and I don't have the time for reproducing this.

> I suggest you edebug the command. Perhaps you can learn what needs to
> be changed or fixed there.

I did this, first let me remark that the docstring states:

  "Insert a VC commit log message by looking at the ChangeLog.
The idea is to write your ChangeLog entries first, and then use this
command to commit your changes with that log."

So that seems to suggest that only vc-commands are covered but not the ones in
which you start the VCS command from the command line and change then
emacsclient into vc-hg-log-edit-mode

In any case edebug resulted in
  (interactive "P")
  (save-excursion
    (let ((eoh (save-excursion (rfc822-goto-eoh) (point))))
      (when (<= (point) eoh)
        (goto-char eoh)
        (if (looking-at "\n") (forward-char 1))))
    (let ((author
           (let ((log-edit-changelog-use-first
                  (or use-first (eq last-command 'log-edit-insert-changelog))))
             (log-edit-insert-changelog-entries (log-edit-files)))))
                                                     ^nil

So  log-edit-files return nil!
I tried to debug this as well,
(defun log-edit-files ()
  "Return the list of files that are about to be committed."
  (ignore-errors (funcall log-edit-listfun)))

but again (funcall log-edit-listfun)))  returned nil.

In a «normal vc-next-action that funcall returns a non nil value

Any suggestions?

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.