Re: Progress on merging use-package?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Progress on merging use-package?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 11:20:30 +0300

> From: chad <yandros@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 18:57:26 -0400
> Cc: Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com>, John Wiegley
> <jwiegley@gmail.com>,
>       Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
>
> Eli & Lars, as a point of clarification: what would you want to see in terms
> of integration into core for
> use-package to make the late-November cut for emacs 29.1?
>
> My understanding is that the copyright concerns are cleared, but John
> (Weigley, for anyone looking at this
> later) believes that some documentation work needs to be done. He doesn't
> have time to do it himself, but
> there do seem to be some potential volunteers (tentatively including myself).
>
> I expect that _eventually_ relatively deep documentation changes would be
> wanted if it were included in core
> (both to use-package and to emacs's existing documentation), but that it
> might be ok to include the package
> (with correct documentation) in 29.1 without necessarily pushing it
> throughout all of emacs' own
> documentation. Does that sound reasonable?

I have difficulty answering these questions.  I think we should hear
from John first, because he knows best what has to be done.

Having a separate manual for use-package is fine if this is supposed
to be an optional package, not something used by core.  But I admit
that I have no clear idea of the purpose of bundling use-package with
Emacs, so maybe what I say makes no sense.