Re: [ELPA] New package: toc-mode

From: Visuwesh
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: toc-mode
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 21:39:18 +0530

[ஞாயிறு செப்டம்பர் 25, 2022] dalanicolai wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback!

Thank you for your answers!

> However, I am not sure if I understand every point correctly.
>
> For point 1, I would say just keeping (S)-<left/right> pressed works so
> fast, that I think
> it is not necessary to set the page number by reading from the user

Having to hold S-<left/right> till the number increases by 20 is not
fast enough, unfortunately.

> As mentioned in the instructions for the tabular mode
> <https://github.com/dalanicolai/toc-mode#3-toc-tabular-adjust-pagenumbers>
> the contents of every field in tabular mode can be updated by reading
> from the user through placing the cursor on the field and then
> pressing C-r. I see now, that the phrasing of that instruction could
> be a improved.

I completely missed C-r since it wasn't mentioned in the Commentary
section, nor does the command have a docstring.  🙃

> For point 2, the answer again is that you can press C-r on the field to
> update it.

I see now, thanks.

> However, the tabular-mode should mainly be used for adjusting the page
> numbers.  Cleaning up, and setting levels, should preferably be done
> in the 'cleanup' stage
> <https://github.com/dalanicolai/toc-mode#2-toc-cleanup>.

I figured it out but it took me some time to find out that whitespace
governs the outline level.  Maybe I missed the explanation in the
Commentary since I skimmed it due to being in a hurry (my mistake!).

> As far as I know, the most use keybindings are major-mode keybindings, and
> automatically
> listed when checking the mode documentation using C-h m, as mentioned in
> the first section of the usage instructions
> <https://github.com/dalanicolai/toc-mode#usage>. Or are you thinking about
> something else?

I was thinking we could put the keybinding texts from the Commentary in
the major-mode docstrings since it is hard to fish through all the
bindings and find the toc-mode ones.

    ;; toc-mode (tablist)
    ;; TAB~               preview/jump-to-page
    ;; right/left         toc-in/decrease-remaining
    ;; C-right/C-left     toc-in/decrease-remaining and view page
    ;; S-right/S-left     in/decrease pagenumber current entry
    ;; C-down/C-up        scroll document other window (if document buffer
shown)
    ;; S-down/S-up        full page scroll document other window ( idem )
    ;; C-j                toc--jump-to-next-entry-by-level

[ Here, the Commentary section and the README file are out-of-sync.  I
  tried `C-x v +' but it didn't pull any new changes, you might want to
  check this.  ]

> Of course if you see any improvement, then patches are welcome (although I
> prefer pull
> requests, but all is fine).

Sure, I will make a pull request.