Re: [GNU ELPA] Proposed new package url-scgi.el

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: [GNU ELPA] Proposed new package url-scgi.el
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 05:28:32 -0400

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> It is not about retrieving URL alone. Your program is url-scgi.el
> right? Maybe I am mistaken.

It is specifically for retrieving SCGI URLs.  I've described my use-case
previously (i.e rtorrent, which uses XML-RPC over SCGI).

Note that url-scgi.el is an extension of the `url' package, "an Emacs
Lisp library for parsing URIs and retrieving the resources to which they
refer".

> Your program is supposed to talk to web server, right?

Generally speaking, no.

url-scgi.el is for talking to some back-end software that would normally
communicate over SCGI with a web server.  Or at least that's what I've
used it for.

> And I am supposed to send information to web server.
>
> Web server is to notify my program which uses url-scgi.el
>
> And dispatching of pieces of information will happen
> asynchronously. That is the purpose of your program. Do I get it
> right? If not, then Emacs could or would need to be spawned in memory
> each time if it would be standard CGI:

Do you want to use it as a server rather than a client?  Maybe I
misunderstand.  If so, I've never done something like that with `url',
so I'm afraid I can't be of much help.  (It doesn't seem to me that this
is what `url' was made for, though.)

> I need not start from scratch when I just need few adjustments.

I still don't think I understand what you're trying to do, but if you
think it will work, I certainly don't want to discourage you from
trying.  I'm merely trying to moderate expectations.

Did you give url-scgi.el a try already?  If not, maybe that could help
clarify how it may or may not help you.