Re: Math symbols

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: Math symbols
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 08:36:30 +0200

On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 at 09:05, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Maybe I don't understand in enough detail what you want to propose.
> What other features, except input methods, may need the TeX names of
> these characters and for what purposes?

There can be a variant of `insert-char' that reads the TeX name instead
of the Unicode name.  Also a hierarchical menu like `emoji-insert'.
Then tex-mode probably wants to suggest those symbols in its
completion-at-point.  And so on.

> We could, I think, add an alternative input method to latin-ltx.el,
> which will be identical to the existing one, except for changes in the
> above-mentioned areas.

This is done: it's the package I linked in my original message.

An alternative is to make the TeX IM customizable.  But this, again,
raises the question: should there be an alist of 2500 symbols defined in
latin-ltx.el, or should this info be stored in some shared place so
various features can benefit from it?  (I'm not sure, and I'm not
advocating for either.)