Re: Mapping file types to major modes

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Mapping file types to major modes
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 19:09:34 +0300

* Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> [2022-09-23 18:48]:
> Emacs has various facilities to decide which major mode to use for which
> file based on its name and/or contents.  All those facilities specify
> directly the mode to use.  This is usually exactly what we want because
> there's only ever 1 major mode for that type.

I agree on good idea that it would be helpful that major modes
correspond to file types, though practically it is not so easy to
determine it. Example is asciidoctor that can in some cases look
completely same as markdown, also txt2tags that may look as markdown
and similar lightweight markup languages. Additionally many
applications produce .txt files which are markdown formatted.

I suggest that upon first invocation where mode is unclear that Emacs
asks user about preferred mode and give him option to understand
descriptions and differences of such modes.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman