Re: Recent fix in handling vc-tor

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Recent fix in handling vc-tor
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 12:51:59 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> The bug that made setting vc-tor a no-op was particularly treacherous.
> since the feature led people to believe they got some protection
> for their privacy, but it didn';t actually work.
>
> I think we should release a 28.3 with this change, and fairly soon,
> even if no other changes are needed.

vc-tor is for using VC commands via Tor?

Emacs does not, in general, work well with Tor -- Emacs leaks all over
the place (especially w.r.t. DNS lookups), so somebody trying to retain
full privacy by setting that variable will probably be found out anyway.

But it does seem like a pretty bad problem, even if I expect that
virtually nobody is using vc-tor, so perhaps we should do an Emacs 28.3
release.  I'm not at all sure, though.  Eli, what do you think?