Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 08:53:58 +0200

>>>>> On Thu, 22 Sep 2022 06:29:56 +0200, <tomas@tuxteam.de> said:

    tomas> One could argue that "modern Windows" with its several layers of
    tomas> UI "languages" is only for "advanced users". You have to know that
    tomas> the first click on an "old" Windows app does nothing but bring
    tomas> the focus to that one (e.g. Terminal), whereas a "modern" app (a
    tomas> browser for example) goes wild on the first click. For me, very
    tomas> much advanced indeed (I keep looking for harmless places on some
    tomas> wacky web page to click on to be able to type there).

Web browsers are particularly annoying here: clicking in the url bar
will select the entire url, making you click again to place the cursor
where you want to make the edit (does that make me an "advanced user"?
😀)

    >> > Though this is the raise-on-focus option, which is independent from
    >> > focus-follows-mouse vs. click-to-focus.

    tomas> You are right, Andreas -- I do appreciate both.

    >> It depends on how you look at it, I guess.  I would rather present it as
    >> sub-option:
    >>
    >> 1. click-to-focus (default behavior on Windows and macOS)

macOS these days is not strictly click-to-focus, it has hybrid
focus-under-mouse (which actually generally does the right thing,
except when you have two overlapping windows).

Robert