Re: master d506d91b1f 2/2: Make linum.el obsolete

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master d506d91b1f 2/2: Make linum.el obsolete
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 05:35:06 -0700

> I'm not sure what you mean.  Are we talking about the usage of
> "deprecated" vs. "obsolete"?

Yes, the directory is called "lisp/obsolete" after all.

> Another idea might be to explicitly mark `linum-mode' as obsolete and
> recommend using `display-line-numbers-mode' when it is enabled.

Yes, indeed.  I've now made that change on master.

> Though the issue here is probably that most people who use linum
> enable it on startup and might miss the message.

True.  Maybe we could think about ways to make the message more visible.

We do have this comment in `do-after-load-evaluation':

    ;; Maybe we should just use display-warning?  This seems yucky...