Re: master baf1a7a4a0: Turn gv-synthetic-place into a function

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master baf1a7a4a0: Turn gv-synthetic-place into a function
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 14:19:05 +0300

> From: Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 09:28:59 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > > Hmm - to me it is clear, so I need to speculate what is needed to make
> > > it better.  Something like
> > >
> > >   "This function is only useful in place expressions."
> > >
> > > maybe?
> >
> > Thanks, this is better.  However, we don't have "place expression"
> > anywhere in the manual (unless I missed something), we have "place
> > form".  Is this the same?
>
> I think we are still aiming at good wording to describe the usage of
> generalized variables.  Personally, I use "place expression" and "place
> form" as synonyms, since expression and form are synonymous.

So saying "place forms" would be preferable from my POV, since we use
that in the manual, and it is even indexed.  Which means users can
easily find the description of that term if they need.

> >  And if this is the same, how about
> >
> >   This function is only useful when used with generalized variables.
>
> I prefer the preposition "in" to "with" which sounds more vague to me.

What does it mean to "use a function in generalized variables"? how do
you use a function _in_ a variable?

> Also, some people seem to like saying a function "is" a generalized
> variable when it has a gv setter.  I'm not sure if they would read your
> version as intended.

Why not?  For me, using something "with" something else means "in
conjunction with".  Does the latter also sound problematic to you (and
if so, why)?  If not, maybe having "in conjunction with" could solve
the issue?