Re: master 3fd2b00a4b 2/2: ; * Makefile.in: Add "make bootstrap configur

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: master 3fd2b00a4b 2/2: ; * Makefile.in: Add "make bootstrap configure=default" as a first choice.
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 10:14:35 +0000

Hmm...  I don't know.  IMO telling people to use

make bootstrap configure=default

to rebuild Emacs with the default configuration options (starting with a "make extraclean" state) is clearer than telling them to use

make extraclean; make bootstrap

which does the same thing, but with which it is not clear at all that Emacs will be rebuilt with the default configuration options.

But that's not what we're recommending.  It's

make extraclean; make

Isn't the effect of "make extraclean; make" to rebuild Emacs with the default configuration options (contrary to "make bootstrap", which uses "bootstrap-clean", and with which the configuration options are kept)? Am I missing something?

(In my opinion, this is what "make bootstrap" should be doing, and we should move the current "bootstrap" to a new target like "bootstrap-partial" or something.)

FWIW, I tend to agree.