Re: src/Makefile unhelpful

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: src/Makefile unhelpful
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 12:37:57 +0200

Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:

> Complete patch attached, comments welcome.

Looks good to me (adjusting for comments from others), so feel free to
push when you're satisfied with the patch.  But one bikeshedding
opportunity:

> +# ADVICE-ON-FAILURE-BEGIN
> +#   You might consider to:
> +#   - run "make bootstrap", which might fix the problem
> +#   - run "git clean -fdx" and run "make" again, which might fix
> +#     the problem if it was not fixed by "make bootstrap"
> +#     !BEWARE! "git clean -fdx" restores the local repository in its
> +#     !BEWARE! pristine state, it deletes all local changes and all
> +#     !BEWARE! untracked files

I wonder whether this could be a two part thing?  That is, have just
"make" say the bit about "make bootstrap" and "V=1", and say the bit
about "git clean" if "make bootstrap" fails?  (Because we don't really
want to recommend to people that they say "git clean" unless they really
have to.)

But if that's too much work, then it's fine as it is.