RE: [External] : Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 16:47:23 +0000

> It only pops up when I hit a prefix key and then
> don't know what to do.

Yes, +1 for this possibility.  Though `C-h' after
a prefix key is similar.

But the same "What keys can I use in the current
context, and what do they do?" question can arise
at top level.  It's not just about prefix keys.

And it's good to have the choice of whether to
have such stuff pop up automatically (after a
delay) or to just hit a key anytime to pop it up
_on demand_.  Especially important for top-level.

`keysee.el' lets you do these things (top-level,
on-demand or automatic).  Maybe `which-key' lets
you do them now also; dunno (it didn't used to,
at least).

[Icicles invented key completion, years before
`which-key'.  `keysee.el' is a reduced version
of Icicles key completion.  Same thing, but
without progressive completion and other
completion enhancements.]

> It specifically shows help to this prefix key, I do not have
> to move the mouse, I do not have to look for a symbol to
> click or a menu entry which might be related.

`C-h' after a prefix key does that also.  E.g.,
`C-x C-h'.  Not enough Emacs users are familiar
with this feature, I expect.

(But after seeing the help you then need to hit
the prefix key(s) again, to use them.  E.g,
`C-x 4 C-h', then `C-x 4 f' or whatever.  IOW,
help is separated from use.  Pros & cons...)

Stefan's suggestion is good: "instead of just
displaying "C-x-" it could display something
like "C-x- [Hit C-h for help]".

A guess is that we might have done that long
ago, but `C-h' after some prefix keys didn't
work.

> I do not have to know how to bury or kill it, it does not
> litter my buffer list with jet another buried buffer, it
> does not permanently change my window configuration.

Seriously?  `C-x 1' and `C-x 0' are among the
first things every Emacs user learns, no?  And
if the help is provided in a standard buffer,
such as `*Help*' or `*Completions*', then Emacs
already pretty much caters to user expectations
of removing the window easily.

> I think these are great features especially for newbies.

Agreed.

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsNewbieWithIcicles#PossibleKeyBindings

> > Again, I don't think there is anything in Emacs by
> > default that relies on non-input the way which-key
> > does.  One reason I dislike this is because I've
> > seen how some people use `which-key-mode' in person,
> > just waiting for the menu to (fragile) pop up, to
> > skim through the columns to find what they are
> > looking for.  By comparison, I think that C-h and
> > isearch/occur/etc. is more idiomatic.

I agree.  It's important to have the choice of
using key completion - or getting help on what
keys are currently available - on demand, and
not just after a delay.

> But much more involved to use and they leave traces as
> which-key does not.

Traces?  Is this again about removing a help
window such as `*Help*' or `*Completions*'?

As others have said, this kind of thing is a
user preference.  IOW, it's good to be able
to get either kind of UI behavior.  (I think
you agree about this.)