Re: Unicode 15

From: Peter Oliver
Subject: Re: Unicode 15
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 17:30:57 +0100 (BST)

From: समीर सिंह Sameer Singh <lumarzeli30@gmail.com>

Also, the latest noto emoji[1] is in a new format named COLRv1 which I guess is
not yet supported by
emacs therefore all of the emojis are appearing as blank, so we should support
that in the future.
in the meantime do you know of any other font which supports the newest emojis
so that emoji support could
be
tested?

A CBDT version of Noto Color Emoji version 2.038 has now been pushed to
https://github.com/googlefonts/noto-emoji/tree/main/fonts/.

As for COLRv1, I think it's HarfBuzz and/or Cairo that need to support
that, no?

I think there’s more to it than that, since COLR v0 fonts don’t work for me in
Emacs either (https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43058), but do work
in other programs.

--
Peter Oliver