Re: master 07c0e090bd 2/2: Add new commands 'image-crop' and 'image-elid

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: master 07c0e090bd 2/2: Add new commands 'image-crop' and 'image-elide'
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 09:52:19 +0300

* Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> [2022-09-15 09:45]:
> > In Gimp, selecting a rectangle and removing the contents is called "cut"
> > (and is on `C-x').  It puts the cut portion onto the clipboard, so it's
> > not quite the same, but perhaps it's similar enough?
>
> "Cut" that doesn't put a rectangle onto the clipboard is called
> "Clear" (on the Delete key).  Also variations of this are called
> "Fill with ..." (BG color, FG color, ...)

He said that rectangle shall be filled with blankness. Blankness means
to me transparency, it means no color.

In that case, why not image-rectangle-blank -- as in that case
function decides that what is cut out it becomes blank and I assume
this means transparent, without any color.

But if something is cut out to be pasted in some other image, then:
image-rectangle-cut -- while the type of the image or its settings
decide if it will be cut with transparency or not.

If with "blankness" is not meant transparency that means that there
shall be settings just like in Gimp to designate default foreground
and background color, and when rectangle is cut, the background color
should appear in the elided area. In that case it should be
image-rectangle-remove or -cut or similar.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman