Re: src/Makefile unhelpful

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: src/Makefile unhelpful
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 22:05:33 +0200

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

> Random idea, not sure if it is possible (easily); what if `make' would
> output "note: to get detailed output pass V=1 to make" if `make all`
> fails?

I looked into this earlier -- I wanted it to say something like
"Consider trying "make bootstrap"" (because that'd save people a lot of
time -- reporting the build problem, only to have somebody say that to
them over mail), but I was unable to find a way to make (GNU) Make say
anything in particular on make failures.

But this was a couple of years ago, and perhaps Make has grown this
capability now?  Or I just missed it while reading the Make manual?
Anybody know?