Re: master 6a2ee981c3: Add new functions for splitting the root window

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 6a2ee981c3: Add new functions for splitting the root window
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 16:49:49 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: chad <yandros@gmail.com>,  Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>,  Robert Pluim
>  <rpluim@gmail.com>,  EMACS development team <emacs-devel@gnu.org>,  Hugo
>  Heagren <hugo@heagren.com>
> Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 14:29:23 +0200
>
> Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> writes:
>
> > Right, but it goes via Emacs C code, right?  'M-x suspend-frame' invokes
> > the shell's job control too.  So, having C-z at the end of a series of
> > keypresses do something other than invoke that function should be fine,
> > if we want it.
>
> Hm -- I'm not actually sure.  Eli probably knows -- Eli?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Is the question whether we
can bind some command to C-z and have it work on a TTY?  If so, the
answer is YES, since AFAIU we put the terminal into a mode where the
usual meaning of C-z is disabled.  From init_sys_modes:

  #ifdef VSWTCH
    tty.main.c_cc[VSWTCH] = CDISABLE;   /* Turn off shell layering use
                                             of C-z */
  #endif /* VSWTCH */

  #ifdef VSUSP
    tty.main.c_cc[VSUSP] = CDISABLE;    /* Turn off handling of C-z.  */
  #endif /* VSUSP */