Re: New library wallpaper.el pushed to master

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: New library wallpaper.el pushed to master
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 00:13:02 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I though that would be considered unclean, given that you deployed the
> cl-defgeneric machinery there.  At the very least, it would mean w32
> users will not be able to use external programs to do the job, even if
> they do have such a program.  Is that acceptable?

I don't know; I don't use MS-Windows.  But if we can do it natively,
perhaps it is acceptable to not be able to use an external command.

If we're fine with that limitation, I see that Po Lu added support for
Haiku, and I think MS-Windows could do something similar to that.

> Also, the display-graphic-p requirement is IMO a gratuitous
> restriction, since one can invoke these external programs from an
> Emacs running in a terminal emulator as well, I presume.

Please see my reply to Po Lu regarding this.

> The reason you needed display-graphic-p is that you rely on
> display-pixel-height, but is that really such an important
> requirement? why not let people specify the height manually?

Indeed, that could be changed.

> I actually thought about computing the value of the defcustom
> dynamically at run time, trying each candidate until one is found.
> The template for the command's arguments doesn't need to be in the
> value, you can use a separate default template for each executable.
> Then all users will have to do is to specify a name of a program, and
> perhaps a few optional command-line switches.

I like this idea.  Let me see what I can come up with.