Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 12:08:07 +0200

Po Lu wrote:

>> That's unlikely (the only known problem is for users who
>> use a mouse, which you said you don't), but even if that
>> were the case, that's how progress goes: leaving a stable
>> position with known problems to reach a position in which
>> some of these problems are solved, while taking the risk of
>> facing other yet unknown problems.
>
> The worst act a software developer can commit is to break
> things for a user who is already comfortable.

A wise man once said ...

  <mchehab@redhat.com> wrote:

  % Are you saying that pulseaudio is entering on some weird
  % loop if the returned value is not -EINVAL? That seems a bug
  % at pulseaudio.

  Mauro, SHUT THE FUCK UP!

  It's a bug alright - in the kernel. How long have you been
  a maintainer? And you *still* haven't learnt the first rule
  of kernel maintenance?

  If a change results in user programs breaking, it's a bug in
  the kernel. We never EVER blame the user programs. How hard
  can this be to understand?

https://linuxreviews.org/WE_DO_NOT_BREAK_USERSPACE

--
underground experts united