Re: Contributing to Emacs

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: Contributing to Emacs
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 22:32:40 +0200

7 sep. 2022 kl. 22.01 skrev João Paulo Labegalini de Carvalho
<jaopaulolc@gmail.com>:

>  I was looking at the file etc/TODO in the repo, and some items there caught
> my attention. For example, under 'Important Features'  I found 'Add an
> "indirect goto" byte-code'. Is this still a desired feature

That file is a bit misleading. Adding a byte-code is easy; modifying the
compiler is more work, and so is deciding what byte-codes to add and what they
should look like.

I'd even go as far as saying that etc/TODO isn't necessarily a catalog of where
new contributors should best direct their efforts.

Why don't you think of something that you personally would like Emacs to do
that it currently does not, or doesn't do well enough? Or fix something that
annoys you daily in your work? Such issues are never in short supply, and your
time addressing them would be well-spent.