Re: Implementing image support for kitty terminal

From: Jose A Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: Implementing image support for kitty terminal
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 21:09:40 +0100

On Wed, Sep 07 2022, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

[...]

> This is a different level: the level of actually delivering the stuff
> to the glass.  I think it's much easier than what was bothering me.  I
> was talking about the level of layout: the one that knows how much
> space each "display element" (character, image, stretch of white
> space, etc.) takes on display.  On TTY frames, there's a built-in
> assumption that every display element takes just one pixel in the
> vertical direction, and each screen line takes one pixel on display.
> That will have to change for image support, I presume.

in x terminal emulators, by "pixel" here you mean one terminal "cell"
(the extend of a displayed ascii char), right?

>> I am assuming here that the display engine (for a tty) knows somehow
>> that it's printing a very lage "character" that is going to spawn
>> several rows and columns, and also that we can always tell how wide and
>> tall the window around point is when we display this "character".
>
> That's exactly the problem: it currently assumes that no display
> element takes more than one row, and that each row is exactly one
> pixel (= one character height) tall.

aha, i see.  so what's needed, for instance, is a way of managing blocks
of such display elements, that are always rendered all at once... or are
there better ways of accomplishing the same?

jao
--
Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and original
in your work.