Re: Comparison of tools to search for related files

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Comparison of tools to search for related files
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 00:26:13 -0400

>   This is the package I'm working on. It provides a command to jump to a
>   related file among existing candidates. It features a Domain-Specific
>   Language (DSL) to describe the relation between files. For Emacs core,
>   it would look like this

I have not looked in detail at your proposal, but it seems to aim to
cover a superset of what's supported by `find-sibling-file` and
`ff-find-other-file`, which is great.

But I keep dreaming of a tool that doesn't require *any* setup at all.
In my ideal world, from a `MyComponent.js` I'd be able to type
`M-x find-file-dwim RET .le RET` and that would jump to
`MyComponent.less`.

Or from `/opt/emacs-27/lisp/subr.el` I'd type `M-x find-file-dwim RET 28
RET` and that'd jump to `/opt/emacs-28/lisp/subr.el`.

Maybe also:

    /foo/lisp/toto.el      +  test     =>  /foo/tests/lisp/toto.el
    /foo/bar/lisp/toto.el  +  baz      =>  /foo/bazaar/toto.el
    /foo/lisp/toto.el      +  te/-te   =>  /foo/test/lisp/toto-tests.el

Admittedly, I'm only thinking of the case where the target file already
exists (we can only find the target file by looking at the filesystem to
see which of the the many possible targets is meant), but it seems like
most of it should be doable.

        Stefan