Re: Emacs As a Wayland WM? Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Payas Relekar
Subject: Re: Emacs As a Wayland WM? Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 21:04:05 +0530

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>     T> Suppose we: ...
>     T> 1. Look forward to the Wayland-only world (ie No X) I know that will be
>     T>    a while...
>     T> 2. But suppose, in that world, we could write an Emacs Window Manager
>     T>    (whatever that means under Wayland) ...
>     T> 3 Will things get easier in that somewhat pure world where one doesn't
>     T>    have to both look backwards and forwards as we are apparently forced
>     T>    to do right now?
>
> I donʼt know about the equivalent of exwm, but forking wlroots and
> fixing up some of the more egregious annoyances might be doable.

What annoyances can you think of? AFAIK wlroots was made to be used by
other WMs, of which there are few. None as prominant as Sway, but
they're there. The authors(Drew and Simon) have been fairly responsive to
accommodate
requirements of other WMs and maybe we can communicate instead of hard
fork.

Thanks,
Payas