Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Payas Relekar
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 09:38:49 +0530

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Maybe the Mate developers would be interested in the idea of making
> a modified version of GTK 3 to fix this.
>
> It might be easy to do by compiling GTK 3 with a macro definition
> to define _exit to call some function we would define.

GTK3 is already on the way out, as GTK4 is being ready for release.

There is a good reason why MATE moved to GTK3 after it began (more or less) as
Gnome2+GTK2 fork. Maintaining a library like GTK is not easy,
particularly for small development teams already spread thin on their
primary project (building/maintaining Desktop Environment). That is also
the reason why there are very few credible options on native UI toolkit
beyond GTK and Qt.

Regards,
Payas