Re: Does seq.el need to work with older Emacs versions?

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Does seq.el need to work with older Emacs versions?
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 10:31:53 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Mattias Engdegård <mattiase@acm.org>
>> Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 12:14:16 +0200
>>
>> Please remind me: does lisp/emacs-lisp/seq.el need to work with older Emacs
>> versions and if so which ones?
>
> Only if it's on ELPA, AFAIU.

ELPA's seq currently only consists of the following

(if (version< emacs-version "25")
    (require 'seq-24)
  (require 'seq-25))

where seq-24.el is a compatibility version, while seq-25.el appears to
be the same as lisp/emacs-lisp/seq.el (or at least the version from a
year ago).  What I guess this means is that lisp/emacs-lisp/seq.el
should preserve compatibility up until Emacs 25, unless another
backport version should be added to the ELPA package.

Out of curiosity, what are you looking to change that might break older
versions of Emacs?