Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 07:28:51 +0000

I don't see how it could be simpler than using a Linux console, since that is as simple as could be. I have 8 of them, and to use one, I just type the character that switches.

That won't change.

ISTR seeing a discussion about whether fbterm "steals characters".

It doesn't, when configured properly.

Is there a reason why you cannot (or do not want to?) use fbterm?

1. It will be different
2. I don't have any idea how to use fbterm.
3. I odn't know what new inconveniences it would cause.

How to install and configure it is documented in efaq.texi (on latest master and emacs-28), around line 3050. Doing that will take you less time that you've already spent on trying to find a way to change the way Emacs handles nondisplayable characters on Linux consoles. If you need help, feel free to ask, either here or privately.

What you'll get is:

1. Full UTF-8 support, i.e. no "undisplayable" characters anymore.

2. 256 colors instead of 8.

3. Modern fonts instead of pixelated ones.

There are no known inconveniences.