Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: Vcomplete, swsw

From: Daniel Semyonov
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: Vcomplete, swsw
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 14:36:11 +0300

    >> In any case, I haven't tested this integration in a while, so I
    >> think it would make more sense to completely exclude
    >> 'vcomplete-embark.el' for now (this integration broke in the past
    >> due to changes to Embark and Vcomplete, and might be broken in
    >> some way now as I don't currently use Embark).  I'll do some
    >> testing in the next few days.

    > In that case I'd advise just adding it to a .elpaignore so that
    > you don't have to change the package specification upstream.

I've done some basic testing and it seems that Embark had changed pretty
drastically, and I would have to make significant changes to make this
integration work with the current version.
Since I'm not using Embark anymore, I've decided to remove this
completely.

    >>> - Could the vector key syntax ([?\C-a]) be replaced with a (kbd
    >>> "C-a")?  I think the general trend nowadays is towards the
    >>> latter, and more people are familiar with it.
    >>
    >> Now that you mention it, since it's just an example, wouldn't it
    >> make more sense to use 'keymap-set' for it? (Although technically
    >> both packages could be used with an Emacs version that doesn't
    >> support 'keymap-set').

    > I wouldn't, as your package-dependency specification indicates
    > that the minimal version is 25.1, and no release of Emacs has been
    > made with the new keymap functions/macros.  It is easy for
    > enthusiasts to forget that most people are not tracking the master
    > branch.

Oh, I incorrectly remembered that 'keymap-set' and friends were included
in Emacs 28.1.  In any case, I updated the commentary of both packages
to use 'kbd' instead of the vector key syntax.

    > No, the last commit that bumps the version tag is always the one
    > used.  I can push the specifications, though I will wait for a bit
    > to see if anyone wants to comment on anything discussed here.

I bumped the version for both packages now, so they should be
completely ready for inclusion I think.

Thanks,
Daniel