Re: Eshell's external pipe module interferes with other argument parsing

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: Eshell's external pipe module interferes with other argument parsing hooks
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 21:34:30 -0700

On 3/31/2022 4:11 PM, Jim Porter wrote:
On 3/31/2022 2:56 PM, Sean Whitton wrote:
On Thu 31 Mar 2022 at 01:58PM -07, Jim Porter wrote:
1) Eshell's built-in pipelines are slow because they go through Emacs
buffers.
[snip]
For (1), Eshell could opportunistically use external pipelines without
any special syntax.
[snip]

This could just be added to Eshell right now, right?  Definitely useful.

Unless there's a reason for Eshell's current behavior that I'm not aware of, I can't think of any problems with doing this, so long as everything is escaped properly.

On the subject of Eshell's built-in pipelines being slow, this might be of interest: <https://tdodge.consulting/blog/eshell/background-output-thread>. The author seems to have some interest in upstreaming the patch too[1].

I haven't had a chance to look at the patch in very much detail yet, but if this worked for all cases (apparently it's limited to PTY subprocesses for now, and I'm sure there are other cases where it would need to stay out of the way), it would be a huge improvement to "regular" Eshell pipes.

- Jim

[1] https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/usghki/comment/i93hkmv/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3