Re: Name dtache.el

From: Niklas Eklund
Subject: Re: Name dtache.el
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 15:36:22 +0000 (UTC)

May 20, 2022 17:25:24 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>:

Although those relying on releases won't get that information then. Maybe one solution to that is that I release a new version and only update the
recipe ones it has become available on ELPA?

A partial solution is to make a release of `detached.el` and once that's done, make a release of `dtache.el` which `Package-Requires: ((detached "??"))`

Would I then need to have two different git repositories or how would you go about doing that?

It can made of a mostly empty file or a file containing just compatibility aliases.

So would we then keep both dtache and detached in the elpa-packages file or how would that work?

Another option I could think about is making a release of the package at its current path https://git.sr.ht/~niklaseklund/dtache which will be its last dtache release. But just before the release I add a commit that issues a warning that if you are running this release you are tracking the wrong patch.

Then after the release, I remove that warning. Rename the https path to detached.el and make a release with the new package name.

Then it should be fine to update elpas tracking. Because if they run on the old release the should have the warning that they need to upgrade. What do you think?

/Niklas

but embedding a warning when it loads that

        Stefan