Re: master e8488bcc9c: Avoid having font locking triggering unnecessary

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master e8488bcc9c: Avoid having font locking triggering unnecessary auto-saving
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 20:26:16 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: larsi@gnus.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 13:21:40 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii [2022-05-07 19:40:42] wrote:
> > Not good enough: auto-saving is a critical feature, and I object to
> > changes that could make it less reliable, because it could mean users
> > will lose their edits.  By contrast, with-silent-modifications is just
> > a convenience device, to avoid annoying users with redundant "changes"
> > of the buffer.
>
> Your call.  The change to `with-silent-modifications` can similarly
> break auto-save, of course.

If it does, we will hear about it sooner or later.  But code that uses
with-silent-modifications is but a fraction of the code that changes
buffers in some way.  And when some code is inside
with-silent-modifications, it is clearly marked, so its effects on
auto-save are easily seen and understood.  Thus, chances are
relatively small that we allow some changes that should cause
auto-save be hidden by with-silent-modifications.

> > What practical problem do you want to solve by that change in
> > auto-save?
>
> The motivation for the change makes me think that the change I propose
> might be closer to the ideal.

The ideal for auto-saving is to save any changes, and when in doubt,
save anyway.