Re: process-file instead of call-process in proced.el?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: process-file instead of call-process in proced.el?
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 18:39:13 +0200

Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Filipp,

>> Would be possible. However, I fail to understand which command you have
>> in mind instead of "kill".
>
> Well, at least kill builtin in shell.  I don't know, I'd just prefer it
> be customizable.  This is highly system-dependent, so it'd be more
> future-proof.

Tramp sends already the "kill builtin in shell". Could we just leave it
as it is, and add connection-local behavior when requested by real use
cases? We're still in Emacs master, years from being released.

> Yeah, I see, the pid will be taken from localhost, but "kill" will be
> sent to remote.  Can we for now just raise an error if we see that the
> remote is not simple sudo/su/whatever?  Maybe later we'll be able to
> implement "get remote process list".

For now, we support only local pids, as Roland has explained. My patch
does this, w/o the need to raise an error in case of a pilot error.

If you are concerned about the prefix argument for "C-u k" and "C-u r"
I'm open to another mean for an indication to proced, that root
permissions are desired.

And if we decide to support also remote pids being target of a signal,
that would be another game. Nothing to prepare now, it would be a major
change anyway.

> Filipp

Best regards, Michael.