Re: How to distribute dynamic modules by themselves?

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: How to distribute dynamic modules by themselves?
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 23:30:13 +0100

In melpa there are some others. The most interesting one IMO is the vterm one. That does the compilation on demand.

On March 23, 2022 11:16:43 PM GMT+01:00, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
Lars Ingebrigtsen [2022-03-23 12:20:17] wrote:
Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:
Is there any way to put a dynamic module on ELPA so that other
packages could use it conveniently?
I'm not quite sure what the state of dynamic modules on ELPA is.
Stefan?

Currently, there's only one such module,m i.e. `pq`.
It's not well integrated yet.
The way it's supposed to work (after Someoneā„¢ codes it up) is that
during `package-install` a chunk of ELisp in the attempts to compile
the module.

Then the same chunk of ELisp should (re)compile the module as/when
needed when the ELisp package is loaded. Ideally, this is done from
a function, so it's not done when the package is barely loaded but when
that function is actually called (which is a more convincing evidence
that the module is needed).

Regarding distributing pre-compiled modules, there's currently no
infrastructure for that. We could consider it, but it can only be
a partial solution (we can't easily make sure we cover all possible
architecures, ...), so the focus for now is in getting the
automated/lazy-compilation working.

Stefan