Re: python minor-mode

From: T.V Raman
Subject: Re: python minor-mode
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 09:09:59 -0700

Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org> writes:

Hi Barry,

Good to hear from you after a long time.

I recall that at one time, there was a similar split between emacs'
built-in C-mode vs the much-enhanced cc-mode  that you and others had
developed; eventually cc-mode and its goodness landed in Emacs.I'm
optimistically hoping for the same for Python:-)

I'm sure there are still differences between python.el and
python-mode.el though in the last 10 years or so, python.el has grown
significantly in size.

I mostly use elpy to pull together all the various emacs/python goodies
and after getting very confused between python.el and python-mode.el
eventually uninstalled python-mode.el so that I could avoid getting
tripped up; for better or worse, I've not noticed too much difference
and it's actually nice to have one less thing to worry about when being
surprized by some unexpected behavior.

With respect to code formatting etc, I now achieve that via external
tools like yapf that elpy wrappers, and have the formatting operation
happen on each save.

--

Thanks,

?7?4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  ?0?8