Re: master 6eeab90632: Don't accept whitespace or hex floats in rgbi: co

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: master 6eeab90632: Don't accept whitespace or hex floats in rgbi: colour specs
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 14:36:17 +0100

7 mars 2022 kl. 11.16 skrev Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>:

> See my reply to Mattias, that's not the RGBi specification I'm talking
> about.

Actually it is the spec that we are implementing. Let's recap the pertinent
history, very roughly:

1. Emacs gets X11 support, and uses XParseColor.
2. XCMS is added to X11, so Emacs now understands rgbi:0/0.5/1 in addition to
#fcb8a9 and SlimeGreen, but hardly anyone uses it.
3. Emacs is ported to Windows. For compatibility, the backend parses the rgbi:
syntax just in case.
4. Emacs is ported to NextStep (etc), but the backend omits the rgbi: syntax.
Nobody complains.
5. The colour spec parsing from all backends is consolidated to a single
implementation and naturally it includes rgbi:.

Not only is the rgbi: syntax very little used, until recently it wasn't even
available on all platforms.

Thus this doesn't matter much at all, and it's been fixed now because it was
reported as a bug, and it was clearly my mistake to mend. I wouldn't mind
dropping the support for rgbi: completely if that is all right with the
maintainers.