Re: About tab-line-mode

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: About tab-line-mode
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 22:30:35 +0200

> I have a few questions about tab-line-mode.
>
> 1. How to group tabs?
> I want that when I work with a .f90 file the tab line shows all
> buffers I have visited in that mode and that are open.  When I switch
> to an .sh buffer it should show all buffers in that mode etc.. BUT How
> to switch?  I do not want a M-x COMMAND but the tab line should show
> a button (similar to the < > arrows) that when clicked displays the
> tab line NOT with buffer but with mode: F90, Shell, Latex, C etc..
>
> Maybe all this is already there and I wasn't able to find it..

Indeed, this is already there.  Please try to customize
‘tab-line-tabs-function’ to ‘tab-line-tabs-buffer-groups’
("Grouped buffers").

> 2. How to increase the size of the font with which buffers are displayed on
> the tab line?
> In my case it is too small (see attachment). How to change the font there? In
> my init.el I have
>
> (set-frame-font "JetBrains Mono-11" nil t)
>
> (setq default-frame-alist
>       '(
>         [...]
>         (font . "JetBrains Mono-11") ; font
>         ))
>
> but it does not help.

Maybe, it would be sufficient for your needs to just customize the face
‘tab-line’ and change its attribute ‘:height 0.9’ to the default height
‘:height 1.0’.

> I have noticed that when I close the tab relative to a buffer, the
> buffer it is not closed: clicking the '+' on the right of the last
> tab, the buffer is still there and in the
>
> menu Buffer - List All Buffers
>
> To avoid this I have to 'Close' the buffer via File menu...

This is possible to customize as well - you can change the value
of ‘tab-line-close-tab-function’ from ‘bury-buffer’ to ‘kill-buffer’.