Re: Rename .dir-locals.el to .dir-locals.eld

From: Robin Tarsiger
Subject: Re: Rename .dir-locals.el to .dir-locals.eld
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 20:07:58 -0600

Stefan Monnier wrote:
I think we should restrict the `.el` extension for files which contain
actual ELisp code rather than files that just contain text in ELisp's
sexp format.

WDYT?

I think it's a bit late to do that for .dir-locals.el given how many of
them are who-knows-where, but it'd be good to assign them lisp-data-mode
in auto-mode-alist (don't forget the -2 version) and establish a loose
policy of .eld for "read but not evaluated" files for the future.

More specifically to the first part, our only practical option is adding
more names, and the practical utility of the new ones stays questionable
for a long time. High churn and complexity for not much cleanliness. It's
already a special-looking file name, too.

-RTT