Re: Speeding up the bootstrap build - a quick hack.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Speeding up the bootstrap build - a quick hack.
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 13:36:40 -0500

> Thereʼs no other file or directory name that contains that hash? Could
> we do a dummy compile of an empty .el using the native compiler and
> derive the hash from that? (and then compile the native compiler with
> the byte compiler).

AFAIK, currently the file name is computed by a function in `comp.el`,
so without further hacking, it requires a compiled src/temacs and it
requires loading `comp.el` (which itself requires loading
a whole bunch of other files) which takes a fairly long time in and of
itself when they're not byte-compiled yet.

Maybe there's another solution: generate both the real .eln file with
the funny hash-complete name and a hardlink/symlink/copy at an
easily-predictable place.  Then Make can use that easily-predictable name
to keep track of dependencies.

But in any case, until we've sorted that out, Alan's approach seems
sane enough and brings a welcome speed improvement (especially welcome
when working on the bootstrap itself).

        Stefan