Re: Touchscreen support

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Touchscreen support
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 13:35:23 +0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > These days, one
>   > might instead use a GTK4 or QT mail reader, and those toolkits would only
>   > "promise support" for code that made gtk or qt calls; the programmer isn't
>   > exactly prohibited from using X11 calls, but doing so is not recommended
>   > nor supported, and if the programmer runs into trouble, they are very
>   > likely to be told "you're breaking the abstraction barrier we set; remove
>   > it and then come back with your problem".

> What happens if one asks them, "How do I solve the problem XYZ without
> doing an X11 call?"

I don't know how it is with Qt, but the response from the GTK developers
these days is typically "stop doing whatever you did which required you
to solve problem XYZ".

Where "whatever you did" can be reparenting a window onto another
window, moving a window to an absolute coordinate on-screen, warping the
mouse pointer, dynamically updating the menu bar, or closing a display
connection, all of which are today discouraged by the GTK developers.

Thanks.