Re: master c8a2af3037 1/3: Add new function function-alias-p

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master c8a2af3037 1/3: Add new function function-alias-p
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 08:28:35 +0100

> Hmm... would it make sense to return `(b c . <foo>)` where <foo> is the
> "last, non-symbol, value", i.e. (symbol-function 'c)?
>
> It seems in most cases where we'd use `function-alias-p` we want to
> follow the trail of aliases and then do something on the final
> non-alias definition.

In the two use cases I had here, one wanted to have the final symbol
(for *Help*) and the other wanted to have all the symbols (to check
symbol properties).

An the semantics would be kinda odd -- in the non-alias case, we'd still
return nil, right?  So the user still has to use symbol-function on
something, so I think the current definition (stop at the last symbol)
is the one that's more practical.