Re: problem with ibus + XIM with emacs XT ?

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: problem with ibus + XIM with emacs XT ?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 21:29:36 +0800

Madhu <enometh@meer.net> writes:

> That's a tough one - Switching the input method does not switch the
> input method - with xkb:il::heb if i type `a' i expect `ש' to be
> produced but I still get an `a'

Interesting.  Is the correct input method applied when you restart
Emacs?

And if so, can you please set a breakpoint here, in this snippet of
xterm.c:

      if (event->type == dpyinfo->xkb_event_type)
        {
          XkbEvent *xkbevent = (XkbEvent *) event;

          if (xkbevent->any.xkb_type == XkbNewKeyboardNotify
              || xkbevent->any.xkb_type == XkbMapNotify)
            {
              if (dpyinfo->xkb_desc)
                {
                  if (XkbGetUpdatedMap (dpyinfo->display,
                                        (XkbKeySymsMask
                                         | XkbKeyTypesMask
                                         | XkbModifierMapMask
                                         | XkbVirtualModsMask),
                                        dpyinfo->xkb_desc) == Success)
                    {
--->                  XkbGetNames (dpyinfo->display,
                                   XkbGroupNamesMask | XkbVirtualModNamesMask,
                                   dpyinfo->xkb_desc);
                    }
                  else
                    {
                      XkbFreeKeyboard (dpyinfo->xkb_desc, XkbAllComponentsMask,
True);
                      dpyinfo->xkb_desc = NULL;
                    }

                  x_find_modifier_meanings (dpyinfo);
                }
            }
        }

And see if it is hit by you switching input methods?  Thanks in advance.

> Yes. I tried --without-xinput2 build with configured features FREETYPE
> GMP JSON LIBXML2 NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER SECCOMP X11 XFT XIM LUCID, and
> switching the input methods to xkb input methods work there.
>
> I can file a bug report if you let me know

Sure, make sure to add me to the X-Debbugs-Cc header.  You can read more
about that here: https://debbugs.gnu.org/Reporting.html#xcc